Saturday, November 6, 2010

Calling in Sick



I think we can all agree that being sick is no fun.  Being sick becomes about a kabillion times worse when you have children.  Here's how our day started off:

Dave: "Honey, Kate woke up and she's crying."

Me: "Okay, why don't you go get her."

Dave: "Oh, come on, I'm sooooooo tired."

Me: "Dave, I am too.  Plus I feel sick.  Honest."  (Honest is our key word to let each other know we aren't messing around.)

Dave: "I do too, honest."

Me: "Well, I said it first."

We tag-teamed this morning, and each took turns taking care of Kate while the other one slept.  But it made me think back to pre-children days.  Back then if I woke up sick, without even getting out of bed I could grab my cell phone lying on the nightstand, call my school, and tell them I needed a sub. Ah, the beauty of calling in sick.

I could still try calling in sick, I suppose.  Instead of grabbing my phone, I'd just yell really loud, "Kate, Mommy is sick today!  I know you're only 9-months-old, but don't you think you could kind of handle things today?  Thanks."  Kate would keep crying, and I'd get up.  I'm afraid these days when I call in sick, I always get a busy signal.

1 comment:

  1. Yup, calling in sick as a mom is non-existent, and it blows. I recall one time while hubs was away at a conference for a couple days that I came down with a stomach bug, throwing up, weak, yet I had kids to care for, change diapers, prepare meals. It was GRUELING, but it had to be done. I hope you feel better soon - start stocking in your pantry Vitamin C and Echinachea pills to help you get better. Zicam and Airborne, too - they help bolster your immune system :)

    ReplyDelete