Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Tread Lightly


Tip #2: Tread Lightly

We all have them.  They go by several names.  Sore spot.  A nerve.  Touchy subject.  One of mine, for example, is the Bosch mixer Dave bought me for our first Christmas.  I can count on one hand the number of times I have used it since then.  I might even be able to count on one finger.  I think it's because I'm intimidated by it.  Dave's mom makes bread in hers, and he thought I would like to learn.  Truth is, it scares me to death.  So now I hide it, so that I'm not reminded that the Pillsbury Doughboy can out-do me.  Anyway, Dave sometimes brings it up, to make me feel bad about it.  And I have sore spots of his that I bring up too.  Sometimes it is so hard not to.

Hard, but not impossible.  How amazing would it be if the next time we wanted to just tease that sore spot in our spouse, we bit our tongue.  We didn't say anything.  They'd probably never know, but we would.  How amazing would it be to know that instead of bringing up that touchy subject, we just kept our lips zipped?  Spared them an uncomfortable moment?  May not be easy, but it's something to strive for.

No comments:

Post a Comment