Saturday, January 1, 2011

A New Year's Twist

Breathe.  Whew, the holidays this year have been completely insane!  And that is my excuse for the two-week hiatus I took from the blog, so please excuse me.  I'll catch up on all of that soon, but first I just wanted to share our New Year's celebration.

You know those days where nothing goes as planned?  Well, that was yesterday for us (thank goodness it was the last day of 2010 and not the first day of 2011!).  I won't go into details, but to make a long story short, I ended up in tears, we didn't end up attending the party we'd been planning to go to, and we did some last minute improvising.

If there's one thing I've learned as a mom, it's that sometimes things don't go as planned - and you have to be on your toes and ready to come up with an alternative solution.  And be happy about it.  Our improvising included an old movie from the 1940s that I got for Christmas, some takeout Thai food, and a candlelight picnic on our living room floor.  It was just me and Dave ushering in the new year.


But, sometimes you've just got to be flexible.  We had a great time, and the perfect finishing touch was dessert from a dessert cafe called, "The Chocolate."  You can see why it was perfect, just from the title. 

I'm not sure if this is a sign that in 2011 I'm going to have to be flexible, but I guess we'll see!  Happy 2011!

2 comments:

  1. Plan B is always so hard for me. It feels like failure when it's really just part of life. Thanks for sharing this. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year Heidi. Glad to hear things worked out.

    ReplyDelete