Thursday, December 2, 2010

I Have Arrived . . .

Yup, it's true.  I'm sure you'll see me on the cover of Vogue soon - my hair windswept (or more accurately sleepswept), all natural (no makeup), walking down the runway (or kitchen tile floor) sporting some sweat pants and a t-shirt, an apron, with a broom and a dustpan in my hands.  Have you caught the vision?

The definition of having arrived is "to have reached a position of power, authority, or prominence," and while I guess you could define motherhood like that, I don't.

What I mean by "arrived" - is that I have finally reached a point in my life where I have to sweep my floor at least 1-2 times a day.  Being a floor sweeper doesn't exactly qualify as a position of prominence in my book, but maybe it's as close as I'll ever get.

Before Kate was mobile, I felt good about myself if I swept the floor once a week.  Now I do it daily for two reasons: 1) Kate is continually knocking (or throwing) stuff off of her high chair onto the floor - it's all I can do to keep up! 2) Kate currently believes that the area under her high chair is a treasure trove - not of rubies and diamonds, but of half-eaten crackers, yogurt melts, and discarded rice.  If I don't sweep daily, I'll pretty much spend my day chasing after Kate, trying to pry stuff (like crusty pieces of day-old grilled cheese sandwich) out of her mouth.   Not my idea of fun.

Ironically, while writing this post I've had to stop her twice.  Guess I'd better go do a quick sweep :)

 For now, it's the broom and dustpan to the rescue!

Any motherhood moments that made you feel that you had truly "arrived" as a mother?


4 comments:

  1. Barrett's teething or sick or we don't know what. Last night we tried to give him baby tylenol (which has never gone well for us) and he immediately threw it up all over me. Greg then said, "I've never seen anyone thrown up on as much as you." Yep, I've arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Something you have to pay 100% attention to (like a conference call) and then WHAM, toddler makes an epic poop that absolutely MUST be dealt with. Ah, the joys of motherhood ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will be sweeping and vacuuming several times a day soon too... my little one is getting there. Well, the other day, when we were about to go to a play date, as I was carrying her to the car, she spat up on my shoulder and her milky spit up dripped all the way down to the sleeves of my green top. Instead of changing, I just wiped it with a tissue and proceeded with things. I know I've arrived because it is ok to go out in public with spit up on my shirt, lol. Gross, I know. Haha.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sweeping?? What's that?? We have a dog to do the dirty work ;-) Not a crumb left after a meal. LOL! As for arriving at motherhood... my first mothers day was spent up all night the night prior with a sick baby and high temps. It's one of the few nights that I snuggled him in bed with me because I was so worried about him. And some time in the middle of that night I realized this is what motherhood is all about. The love and worry you feel for that little baby... www.typicalsuburbanfamily.com

    ReplyDelete