Friday, December 3, 2010

Through New Eyes

Image from wikimedia.org

Yesterday Kate and I went on a little jaunt to the mall.  The mall was packed, I was busy looking for a new coat, and the arm holding Kate felt like it was about to fall off (especially after what felt like several miles of mall!).  Needless to say, I hardly even noticed the Christmas decorations, let alone appreciated them. 

However, as I was rushing past the big Santa display, Kate twisted and turned, dying to get a closer look at the big beautiful Christmas trees and all the lights.  I stopped for a moment, and took her over by the trees so that she could see.  I was amazed at how beautiful the trees were - and how I'd been all too willing to rush by their beauty, without even giving them a second thought.

As I stopped to give Kate a closer look, I saw those trees through new eyes, Kate's eyes.  I noticed the sparkly lights, the frost-covered branches, the big bright balls.  It was truly stunning.  And I realized how fantastic it must seem to Kate - the tree so sparkly, and covered in huge shiny balls, many of them bigger than the size of her head.  How breathtaking for her to see something like that for the first time . . . how intriguing and wonderful!  And I was grateful to see it again for the first time in probably a very long time.

This isn't the first time this type of thing has happened.  Kate has opened my eyes more than once to beauty in things that I don't even notice anymore.  How grateful I am for my daughter who helps me see things through new eyes!

What has your little one helped you see through new eyes?


3 comments:

  1. My little one LOVES looking at trees and the leaves as they move with the wind. I used to ignore these things and I've never really been in the parks in our neighborhood until she came along. It is actually beautiful. Sometimes we spend hours laying down under the tree just watching the leaves. Seeing her get really excited as she watches, never fails to make me smile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It feels like they open your eyes to EVERYTHING!
    Things seem different, somehow, once you have a little one!
    I just found your blog via Mumsyhood!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome, Cassie! I know, it's so true - you really see everything in a different light with a child, don't you!?

    ReplyDelete