Tuesday, December 14, 2010

'Tis the Season

Not to blog.  Seriously, life is so crazy!  For all of you who are still consistently blogging, my hat goes off to you.  Or it would if I had one on!

But, 'tis the season

TO SERVE

Image from here

A few weeks ago, I had the opportunity to accompany a group of young women from my church to a care facility where we sang Christmas songs to elderly and handicapped people.  It was so amazing!  I hadn't realized how much I'd been missing service. . . 

I realized that since having Kate, I had somehow used being a mother as a rationalization for being too busy to serve.  I failed to realize two things - one, that I need to serve.  It makes me feel good, even if it is inconvenient or takes some planning.  It's just good for the soul (like Chicken Noodle Soup)!  And two, I am setting an example for Kate . . . if I don't serve, she won't learn how important it is!

Over the past few weeks, I've been amazed at how many opportunities to serve have presented themselves.  Most of those service opportunities haven't been big, and they haven't taken hours upon hours to complete, but they have left me feeling full of the Spirit of Christmas.  And instead of feeling stressed out about getting the shopping done, the presents wrapped, gifts out to neighbors . . . I instead feel calm and peaceful, and a whole lot closer to what (or should I say who?) Christmas is all about.


2 comments:

  1. Thanks for your thought! I needed to hear something like that today. I have kinda had a "Me" day and need to start looking outward instead of inward. Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this post, very inspiring. :)

    ReplyDelete